Community’s Long History of Investing in This Region
For 125 years, Community Health System has been investing in this region — growing a successful healthcare system that supports our community and serves hundreds of thousands of Valley residents.
I hope you share my pride in the contributions and impact our health system has made to this community, including:
- Community’s outstanding response supporting public health during the COVID-19 pandemic, made possible by a highly dedicated, coordinated workforce and by smart investments in our Fresno and Clovis facilities. As a system, we served more COVID-positive patients than all hospitals in San Francisco County combined, impressing both federal and statewide agencies with how we responded to the crisis.
- Honoring our agreement with the City and County of Fresno, made decades ago, where we committed to build a $45 million critical-care facility downtown. But we delivered so much more, including a $200 million Trauma and Critical Care Building that’s among California’s best — and part of $500 million in investments to expand and renovate our Community Regional Medical Center (CRMC) campus.
- Growing Community Medical Centers, now 1,273 inpatient beds strong, by adding 285 much-needed beds at CRMC and another 288 beds to our Clovis Community Medical Center campus in response to population growth and the growing demand for hospital services in our region overall.
- Our role as the region’s biggest economic engine, now employing 9,000 healthcare professionals and creating thousands of construction jobs tied to our facility upgrades and expansion. We are honored to be recognized by Forbes as one of the state’s top healthcare systems to work in.
- A longstanding commitment to training doctors and nurses. True to our commitment to address our region’s healthcare workforce shortage, we have 1,200 future clinicians — from residents, fellows and physician assistants, to nurses, technicians and others — all training in Community’s health system.
- Our work to create leading institutes and centers for trauma, burn, cancer, neurosciences, stroke, heart-and-lung care, bariatric and metabolic surgery, and neonatal intensive care — to name only a few of our advanced services. These investments are saving lives.
- More than $230 million in Community Benefit investments that make it possible to provide uncompensated care and other assistance and support for our region’s most vulnerable residents.
These contributions are the result of our long-standing fiscal responsibility, and prudent financial investments in outstanding facilities that serve both Fresno, Clovis and the wider region. Our management team works closely with a volunteer board of local business and medical leaders, who devote their considerable expertise and personal time to assuring that we meet our obligations as a non-profit healthcare provider.
I could not be more grateful for our employees, physicians, donors, contractors and trustees, or more proud of the exceptional care we provide in the outstanding healthcare infrastructure we’ve built. There’s more to come, as we bring additional services online, strengthen our physician network and continue to invest in what I believe is the best team in the Valley!
We will stand firm in our long-running commitment to do right by the people of Central California.
Craig S. Castro
President & CEO
Community Health System