A 25-year-old Fresno man died after being pulled unconscious from Millerton Lake’s south shore on Sunday afternoon by a good Samaritan.
The Fresno County Sheriff-Coroner’s Office said Monday that Erick Villatoro Rodriguez died at a hospital Sunday.
Millerton Lake is a state park and has a designated swim beach with a lifeguard on duty. However, Rodriguez apparently was in another area of the lake.
Even though Fresno is baking in triple-digit temperatures, people are reminded that local waters are cold because of the continuing Sierra snowmelt.
Water Safety Tips
The California Department of Parks and Recreation offers the following water safety rules and tips:
- Swim at designated beaches only, and if available, swim where a lifeguard is on duty.
- Always wear a life jacket or other flotation device when working around water or participating in water activities.
- Never swim alone.
- Never mix water activities/recreation with the use of alcoholic beverages, drugs, or other mind-altering substances.
- Do not swim when overtired, overheated, or immediately after eating.
- Do not swim in unfamiliar areas which may harbor unknown dangerous currents, deep holes, debris, or other hazards.
- Do not overestimate your ability to swim.