The Big Fresno Fair begins its 12-day run today highlighted by the KMJ Fair Kickoff Concert featuring WAR, Canned Heat, and comedian Jimmy “JJ” Walker.
WAR has sold more than 50 million records since its formation and had 10 Billboard Top 10 hits. The band’s timeless classics include “Why Can’t We Be Friends,” “Low Rider,” “The World Is A Ghetto,” and “The Cisco Kid.”
The show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets start at $15.
Opening ceremonies are scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m. at the Pacifico Yosemite Station. The main carnival and kiddie carnival will operate from 4 p.m. to closing.
Fair Admission Discounts
Here are some ways to save on your trip to the fair:
• $40 Season Passes are available at O’Reilly Auto Parts.
• Coming for a day? Get $2 off admission and up to $7 off unlimited carnival ride wristband at Save Mart or FoodMaxx stores.
• Get a “buy one, get one free” admission ticket voucher if you donate blood as part of the “Pint for a Pass” Blood Drive! Just head to any Central California Blood Center or mobile drive.
General Fair Prices
• Adults: $12
• Children 6-12: $8
• Children 5 and under: FREE
• Seniors 62 and over: $8
• Active military with I.D.: $8
4.0 Students Honored Tonight
One lucky student with a 4.0 or better grade-point average will receive a new Toyota Corolla tonight.
The fair honors Fresno County students in grades 8 through 12 with perfect grades every year. In addition to the Corolla, they are eligible to win scholarships, Air Pods, and laptops.
The program starts at 6:30 p.m. in the Brian I. Tatarian Grandstand.
The @BigFresnoFair is now OPEN for its 140th year! 🎟️
The Fair is very special to me – I have a long history here that started 44 years ago when I was working as a cadet directing traffic outside the fair, and I still look forward to it every year.
I hope you’ll join me! pic.twitter.com/Ryv70M3l7k
— Mayor Jerry Dyer (@MayorJerryDyer) October 4, 2023
• The Pop! Culture Experience is back — This Comic-Con style building has a variety of new and returning vendors, plus retro and new-gen video gaming, eSports tournament play, and cosplay characters. All gaming is free with your paid fair admission. The video games include Super Mario Kart on a giant track.
• Kids’ Town & Wild Science – Kids’ Town is back and will feature the hands-on Wild Science! Exhibit. Take an excursion into the wild and amazing world of science through lots of interactive, fun, and visually captivating displays and activities! Free with your paid fair admission.
• Livin’ Local Marketplace – An area dedicated to local artisans, the Livin’ Local Marketplace debuted in 2021. Featuring 40 vendors, It has everything from jewelry to clothing, baked goods to art.
• FlippenOut! Extreme Trampoline – All shows are free with your paid fair admission. Watch aerial artists flip, twirl, and land amazing jumps.
Live horse racing begins on Friday, Oct. 6. Post-time is 1:45 p.m.